Silver Jewelry Storage
Silver is a white and extremely reflective precious metal. Silver jewelry tarnishes easily because it undergoes a chemical reaction with sulfur containing substances that are found readily in the air. When this happens, the silver combines with the sulfur to form silver sulfide that is black and darkens your silver jewelry. As you know, the silver can become sparkling again by removing the silver sulfide coating from the surface of the jewelry piece.
If you are ready to take better care of your precious silver jewelry, with our silver jewelry storage and care tips, including proper silver storage boxes, you can keep your silver jewelry beautiful and ready for you to wear.
- When you are finished wearing your silver jewelry (earrings, rings, necklaces, bracelets, anklets etc), wipe off the item with a soft cloth.
- For effective silver jewelry storage, use Intercept Silver & Jewelry Care's anti tarnish strips, tabs, or anti-tarnish zip-lock bags and pouches. Anti tarnish strips, tabs, bags, and pouches will protect your silver jewelry from tarnishing, thereby keeping them radiant, beautiful and retaining their value. Intercept Silver & Jewelry Care's products incorporate Corrosion Intercept® and Static Intercept®, Lucent Technologies patented polymers that react with and permanently neutralize corrosive gases that can lead to corrosion and tarnishing of your silver jewelry.
- Another option for your silver jewelry storage is to place it into a Corrosion Intercept® anti–tarnish zip lock bags and pouches. These bags and pouches are perfect for your silver jewelry items and will protect them from tarnish for up to three years!
What if my silver jewelry is already tarnished?
If your silver jewelry is already tarnished, then you will have to take measures to clean the items before placing in your silver jewelry storage device.
Cleaning your silver jewelry is relatively quick and easy. Just follow these steps:
- Instead of purchasing expensive silver cleaners that can be toxic, a few simple household items are all you need. Gather a glass dish, hot water, salt, baking soda, and aluminum foil.
- Line the glass dish with the aluminum foil and fill the dish with very hot water.
- Using a two to one ratio, add baking soda and salt (ex. you will need two tablespoons of baking soda for every one tablespoon of salt).
- Add your tarnished silver jewelry into the solution (it's best to clean one piece at a time) and make sure it is lying on the aluminum foil. Severely tarnished items may require five minutes of soaking.
- Remove items as soon as they appear clean, then lightly rinse with water, and dry with a soft cloth.
Once your items are clean and sparkling again, they are ready for silver jewelry storage. The Intercept Jewelry patented anti-tarnish solutions are simply the most effective on the market. Browse our site today and learn about the extensive line of silver jewelry storage solutions!