How To Clean Your Jewelry Items For Proper Jewelry Storage
Are you confused about the best jewelry storage methods? Do you want to keep your pieces looking beautiful for years to come?
Many people don't give a second thought as to their jewelry storage. They remove the item and place it on a dresser waiting their next wearing. Other people may store their jewelry in a standard jewelry box, falsely believing that it affords proper protection for their jewelry investment.
The absolute best way to store your jewelry to ensure it remains protected, clean and shining is to use one of Intercept's jewelry storage options. Intercept offers an assortment of exceptional, multipurpose jewelry storage options. All of our products incorporate the patented Corrosion Intercept® and Static Intercept®, polymers developed by Lucent Technologies that react with and permanently neutralize corrosive gases that lead to corrosion and tarnishing of metals, both precious metals as well as other metals used in silver and jewelry products.
Before deciding on which jewelry storage device meets your needs, it is important to ensure that your jewelry is clean and sparkling before storing.
Cleaning Your Non-Silver Jewelry
Before you undertake cleaning your jewelry to utilize your new Intercept jewelry storage bags or box purchase, check your items thoroughly to ensure that the piece is in good repair and that the stones are not loose. Simply touch the stones with a toothpick and make certain that it does not move or wiggle. You should also check to ensure the claws holding your stone are intact. If your stone is glued in, you have to be extra careful that your cleaning doesn't loosen the glue. In this case, you may want to take your item to have it professionally cleaned by a jeweler.
- If you have gold or items with precious stones that are in solid repair, these are easily cleaned with liquid hand soap or detergent. Choose a mild cleaner without bleaching agents or ammonia. Never use anything with abrasives or bleach, including toothpaste or creamy cleansers. These products are too abrasive and can damage your delicate jewelry.
- Soak your items in a warm solution of detergent and water, then rinse.
- If your items haven't been cleaned recently, you may have to gently brush the item to remove dirt and particles. A soft toothbrush works well.
- Once the items are clean, dry them thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Cleaning Your Silver Jewelry
You need to treat your silver items differently because you could end up oxidizing the piece and causing tarnishing if you don't use the proper cleaning method.
- No need for expensive cleaners, just a few household items does the trick! Get a small glass container and lay a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side up).
- Place your jewelry on the aluminum foil in the container and pour very warm water over the top.
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda and one tablespoon of salt to the water.
- Let your items sit for a few minutes. You should be able to visually see the tarnish being removed as it sits.
- Remove the items carefully and rinse off in warm water.
- Dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.
What Jewelry Storage Products Does Intercept Offer?
Along with our anti tarnish strips, anti tarnish tabs and anti tarnish paper, Intercept offers a Complete Intercept Keepsafe Jewelry Storage System that will meet all of your needs. Imagine having the proper space to store all your precious jewelry pieces! With this cost effective system you get tarnish and corrosion protection for up to 30 years! The jewelry storage system includes:
- Intercept Keepsafe® Box
- Intercept Keepsafe® Five Pocket Zippered Bag
- Large Velcro® Intercept Keepsafe® Bag
- Small Velcro® Intercept Keepsafe® Bay
Browse the Intercept Silver & Jewelry Care website and you'll discover why so many prominent companies utilize Intercept Technology™. The Guggenheim Museum trusts Intercept Technology™ to protect their precious museum pieces. Learn more about us today so you can trust it for all your jewelry storage needs!